I’m a firm believer in the benefits of regular massage. According to a recent article in The Huffington Post, massage can help reduce anxiety and depression, ease pain, improve sleep, and boost your immunity. It has also been shown to increase alertness and curb headaches!
Recipe: Massaged Kale Salad
Summary: A raw salad with kale, avocado, and tomatoes
- 4 cups curly kale, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 avocados, pitted
- 1 ½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sunflower seed kernels, optional
- Pepitas, optional
- Place kale in a large bowl. Scoop out flesh from avocados, and add to kale.
- Use your hands to massage avocado into kale so that leaves are well coated. (When finished, you’ll probably want to lick your fingers. Go ahead! Just be sure you wash your hands before proceeding!)
- Add tomatoes, lemon juice, basil, and salt. Stir well.
- Sprinkle sunflower seed kernels and/or pepitas, on top of each serving, if desired.
1. Add 1 (15-ounce) can drained chickpeas.
2. Massage only one avocado into kale leaves, and cut the other one into small cubes to toss with the cherry tomatoes.
Number of servings (yield): 6